[FIX] When Deep Freeze won’t thaw – VHD Style
If you are a follower of my blog you know that recently I have done a lot of work with Virtual Hard Drives. I have made the decision to convert our Computer Centre and Classroom PCs over to VHDs so that they would be easier to maintain. We use a nice piece of software (I think its pretty cool, most people on the net don’t) and thus far it has worked without issue.
So here is the new set up I have laid out for the Lab, and I got it running on a test system after some trial and error when it came to the Windows 7 side:
- 1 physical hard drive with 2 partitions
- First Partition has 2 VHD Files which are configured to be bootable (see how)
- Second Partition used as a “Thawspace” to transfer files between the two OSes
- Physical Hard Drive does NOT contain an OS
- First Partition (becomes D: when booted) has access removed via GPO so no ones messes with the VHD files.